Friday, August 5, 2011

Aww the joys

The joys of moving :)

Deciding to use a moving company vs my own woman power was a big one for me. I did feel a little guilty since that was money I could use on other things. Once I made the decision to use a moving company, the next big decision was which company. Moving out of state is very different ( in the moving company world) than a local move. I needed to find a local agency that I trusted as well as a national moving company that I trusted. And of course, the local company had to be an agent for the larger company. This was a very big decision. Search any of the big national moving companies and there are terrible reviews for them all. I had an attorney read over the contract of the company I was leaning towards and he started our conversation ( before looking at the contract) with " all moving companies are crooks!". Great. That made me question my decision about using a moving company all over again. I did, at last, make a decision that I felt pretty good about. We set up a pick up date, they gave me an arrival spread and off we went. The local company came and picked up everything on schedule, they didna fantatic job wrapping everything up, and were very professional. As Rach and I drove across the country we checked on the status of my move. Each time it said everything is still in Sacramento. Hmmmm. I wasn't too concerned until this past Wednesday. Everything is still in Sacramento and the last day of my moving spread is Monday, Aug 8. I got in touch with my local agent and they have been fabulous. They are researching what exactly is going on, but my belongings are currently scheduled to be picked up on Aug 8 with a delivery sprad through Aug 18th! Luickily, we are in a house, with a bed to sleep on and a small refrigerator. Still, that is a long time. The upside is that they (the national company) do have to pay us penalties for everyday they are late and my rep told me to save all eating out receipts as well. Once Phillip gets wind of this he will probably tell them to keep everything as long as is needed :) I am embracing this as part of my North Dakota adventure and what will be will be ( it would be nice to be able to wash clothes at home!). Would I use a moving company again? Most likely. Especially after watching the two guys spend four hours loading the truck with all of our stuff! I was very, very, grateful that I wasn't doing it. The joys of moving across the country!

Start the new job on Monday. Went in and signed paperwork today and got the grand tour. 8:30-5:00 with an hour lunch ( that I am suppose to leave for!). No problem :) the boss seems great and she is still thrilled to have me start. I think it will be good.

Cindy at the coffee shop says it is suppose to be another wet winter ( which in ND means snow!). We will likely need to invest in a snow blower. Hope my snow shoes arrive by then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment