Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Winter

I'll admit, it is likely my fault. I am the only one in the whole state who has been wishing for it and now it is here. We had a teaser snow storm about a week ago on Saturday; big flakes floating through the air.  This past Monday we woke up to another snow storm. It was pretty exciting until the sun came out and melted it all. Today, today brought bunches of snow and it is still here!

My alarm went off and I briefly heard something about a 'winter storm advisory'. Instead of hitting snooze, I turned my alarm off! I woke up twenty minutes and jumped out of bed (I was late at this point) and rushed to get ready for work. Suddenly, I remembered the 'winter storm advisory' that I vaguely remembered hearing about. I looked out the window and was shocked to find everything covered in snow, more snow coming down and lots of wind! Fun!!  I excitedly pulled out my long winter coat, but my snow boots on, wrapped my scarf around my face and off I went. Yes, I walked to work : ) This was a storm that was NOT forecasted! In fact, I was up way too late the night before and routinely checked the weather and a storm was not in the forecast. The weather in North Dakota is completely unpredictable. It is hard to imagine that a huge snow storm could just appear. I suppose I am used to watching the storms come in off of the pacific and slowly make their way inland. Not in North Dakota. Apparently, storms can simply appear out of thing air! Crazy! That is why you must always be prepared!

I suppose that is enough about the weather!  November... how can it always be the middle of November!  Work is work.. It is less new and exciting but it is still good! We had a few difficult clients and that made life interesting until we finished those transactions, but otherwise everything is pretty good. Work has been more of a challenge for Phillip. The company is working them like crazy; pretty much every 12 hours he is working. On top of that, they haven't given him a full two days off since September! The time he has taken off has been unpaid sick days... sigh. We keep hoping that things will get better, but I am becoming less hopeful. It has been a challenge. The company is so poorly managed that I don't know who they stay in business at all! He continues to get up and go to work, every time the company calls and I am incredibly grateful.

Life continues in North Dakota.  Oh, I did learn something new. What we thought was a tornado warning test every evening, is actually referred to as the "6 o'clock Whistle"... basically it means it is quitting time!  Funny huh! When I told my co-worker and boss that we did  not have a 6 o'clock whistle or any other city wide warning system, they were surprised... they actually seemed pretty uneasy about not having a city wide warning system.  It must be a North Dakota thing : )

No comments:

Post a Comment